If you’re a Boise, ID homeowner, there’s a good chance you’ve experienced a clogged toilet in your home before. Whether it’s the story of the infamous Uncle Johnny clogging the toilet or the time baby Sophia thought it’d be a good idea if her barbies went swimming, it has happened to everyone. While most clogs can be removed with a quick plunge, others require more extensive methods to remove deep blockages. If a plunger isn’t doing the trick, call Magic Electric and Plumbing for clogged toilet repair services.
Want to protect your toilets from future clogs? Professional drain cleaning is the best protection against frequent toilet blockages.
What Causes Clogged Toilets
Toilet clogs are common but they don’t just occur out of the blue. Behind every single clogged toilet, there is a cause, with some of the most common culprits being:
- Improper Toilet Paper Usage: Whether you’ve just learned how to properly use the toilet or you’ve been potty-trained for over 30 years, there’s a good chance you’re using way too much toilet paper. Toilet paper is one of the main culprits behind clogged toilets but not because of a flawed design. The only flaw is we use too much of at it one time and create clogs in our toilets.
- Hard Water: If you’re one of the millions of homes that suffer from hard water, congratulations, you’re more susceptible to clogs! Hard water is water that has a high concentration of minerals. This may sound like a good thing, but some minerals wreak havoc on our health as well as our fixtures. The best remedy for this is with the installation of a water-softner.
- Forbidden Objects: Unless your name is human waste or TP, short for toilet paper, you shouldn’t be going in the toilet. Despite all of the warning “do not flush” signs, everyday items such as feminine products, baby wipes, hair, and diapers are being flushed down our toilets, left to rot and clog!
- Weak Toilets: If you have an older toilet or a low-flow toilet, there’s a pretty good chance your flush is weak. Though low-flush toilets are energy-saving, they do have a downfall of not being strong enough to clear out blockages in our toilets. Too, older toilets no longer have the flushing power to clear away stubborn clogs.
When To Upgrade Your Toilet
Toilets don’t last forever. There will come a day when your toilet needs to be replaced with a newer model. Some of the indicators that it’s time for a new toilet in your Boise, ID include:
- Old Age: As we stated above, toilets don’t live forever. As your toilet increases in age, the functionality of it decreases. Flushes become weaker and parts become harder to replace as newer models replace the old ones in stores. If your toilet isn’t flushing as effectively as it should or you need costly repairs, it’s time for an upgrade.
- Cracks: Most toilets are constructed with porcelain. Porcelain is durable but not immortal and becomes more susceptible to cracking over time. Cracks can expand in size, increasing the risk of leaks in your toilet. If your toilet bowl or tank has cracks, it’s time to replace it.
- Constant Clogs: If your toilet experiences constant clogs, this could indicate that the pressure valves that facilitate flushing have become weakened. This is just a result of everyday wear-and-tear but requires for your toilet to be completely replaced in order to prevent the problem from persisting.
- Increased Water Bill: If you notice an increased water bill, your toilet may be the culprit. If your toilet isn’t operating functionally, your toilet will run more water than it needs in order to flush properly.
Avoiding Future Clogs
No one likes a clogged toilet but no one is researching the methods to prevent them from occurring either. Don’t worry, we did the research for you! The most effective ways to prevent toilet clogs from frequently happening in your home are:
- Practice proper toilet flushing
- Never flush forbidden objects such as pads, tampons, diapers, and wipes
- Put a trash can in your bathroom to prevent the need for disposal through your toilet
- Never pour grease down the toilet
- Avoid exposing your toilet to hair as much as possible
Toilet clogs can occur at any time of the day. If your toilet isn’t flushing after normal business hours, don’t fret. Contact us today!
Call Our Toilet Experts Today
In order for us to fully experience true comfort and relaxation in our homes, all of our fixtures and appliances need to be working properly. Which is why we understand your frustration when toilet problems arise. Whether you have a clog that needs repairing or it’s time to upgrade your toilet, we can help. Call our elite team members here at Magic Electric and Plumbing, and we’ll have your toilets back up and running in no time.