There is definitely no shortage of HVAC system options when it comes to cooling your home. From central AC to window cooling units, there is a specific air conditioning system for every need in every home. Well, what if you’re just looking for an energy-efficient, dual-system for both your cooling and heating needs? What if you want an AC installed but don’t want a hefty installation that involves tearing down walls and installing ducts? If this sounds like your ideal situation, then look no further than a ductless mini-split AC system. These unique systems are small, powerful, and may be the answer to HVAC systems for homeowners in Twin Falls and Jerome, ID.
Need other HVAC alternatives to cool and heat your home? Call us today and ask about our heat pump installation services.
What Is a Ductless Mini-Split AC?
Mini-split AC units work similarly to central AC but without all of the long ducts. So how does air circulate throughout your home without traveling through ducts? Good question! These systems are comprised of two main parts: the indoor unit and the outdoor unit.
The indoor unit works by extracting the warm air found in your home already and passing it over the system’s evaporator coils. Then, the refrigerant that is running through the coils absorbs the heat out of the air and transports it to the outdoor unit where all of this warm air is dumped and the entire process is ready to start again.
Because there is no ductwork, you need an indoor unit installed in every room but you only need one outdoor unit to take care of the second part of the cooling process. Our Mitsubishi ductless HVAC systems are the leading systems in the industry and the recommended brand for mini-split AC installation.
Benefits of Mini-Splits
Ductless mini-split air conditioners are sought out by homeowners all across the map and for good reason. There are many advantages of installing a mini-split AC over the traditional counterparts. Some of these benefits include:
- Painless Installation Process: Without the need for connecting ducts or installing completely new ductwork in your home, the installation process is cut nearly in half. Compared to central AC installation, where a small “demolition” to your walls takes place, these units can be installed right on the wall or ceiling of any rooms of your choice.
- Dual Purpose: Not only are these systems efficient at cooling your entire home but these units can heat your home as well. By investing in a dual-system, you no longer have to worry about the installation costs of two separate heating and cooling systems.
- Zoning: Perhaps the best feature of this system is the controlled zoning you have of your entire cooling system. Because you will have multiple indoor units installed throughout your home, you can control the temperature of each room in your home so you’re not paying to cool your hardly visited guest room the same way you’re paying to cool your main living area.
- Energy Efficiency: One of the biggest sources of energy loss when it comes to cooling homes is all of the wasted cool air being lost within the ducts. Think about it. When the cool air leaves the unit, it’s at its coolest temperature but as the air travels through long ducts to get to each individual room, you can guarantee there will be some lost energy there, requiring more energy to cool your home than necessary.
Signs Your Mini-Split Needs Repairs
Though mini-split AC units are extremely innovative, they are by no means perfect or immortal. Just like any other HVAC system, there will come a time when your mini-split AC requires professional repair service. Some of the most common indications that your unit needs attention include:
- Increased Utility Bills: The HVAC system makes up most of the home’s energy usage. With that being said, if you notice a sudden spike in what you’re used to paying every month, your HVAC system may be the culprit. An AC unit that needs repairs will not work as efficiently as it should, thereby increasing your energy usage.
- Insufficient Air: Insufficient cool air coming from your AC unit is another common sign that something is wrong with your system. In this case, you could have a damaged internal component located in either the outdoor or indoor unit so it’s important to have a professional determine the culprit.
- Strange Sounds: Since mini-split AC systems are relatively quiet units, if your unit is generating strange sounds, there is definitely something wrong with your system and repair or replacement services may be required.
- Frozen Evaporator Coils: Restricted airflow can result in frozen evaporator coils in your unit. There are different culprits that can cause this to occur such as a broken thermostat, a dirty air filter, a damaged fan, or a dirty coil. This problem only gets worse with time so it’s important to have it taken care of as soon as possible.
At MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air, we are your ductless system repair experts. Our technicians take the time to troubleshoot your system, ensuring a long-term fix even for the most complex issues. Best of all, we can also set you on a maintenance schedule, making consistent upkeep hassle-free.
Sticking with your traditional central HVAC system? Make sure it’s in the best shape with routine AC maintenance and tune-up services.
Call Us Today
Here at MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air, our team of experts take pride in our ability to do clean, professional work. Whether you’re on the market for a brand new ductless mini-split AC system or your current unit needs repairs, we can help. Give us a call today and take advantage of our easy scheduling system as well as our straightforward pricing. You’ll be happy you did, we guarantee it!