A power surge is a spike in your home’s electrical current. When one occurs it usually happens fairly quickly, less than a thousandth of a second, but that doesn’t mean they are a welcomed event.
The average homeowner has between $14-15K worth of appliances or electronics in their home that is unprotected without surge protection. It can be incredibly expensive it is to replace home appliances and electronics if you are a victim to a surge strike.
In order to protect your Twin Falls and Jerome, ID home and your electronics, it’s important to have a whole house surge protector installed in your home. At MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air, we know the damaging effects of an unexpected surge and can help you protect your home with our expert services.
Power surges can also have a negative effect on our electrical outlets and switches. Call us today for professional outlet and switch replacement services.
How Electrical Surges Affect Your Home
Power surges affect thousands of homes every year. There are various different culprits that can cause an electrical surge. The most common is lightning strikes. Lightning doesn’t even have to strike in close proximity to your home in order to trigger an electrical surge. In fact, it’s more common for lightning to strike electrical a power line which can cause a power surge in your home. One lightning strike can completely burn out devices such as the internet router, television, or computer monitors.
Another thing that can cause a spike in the electrical current is if your electrical devices require more power than your home can sustain. When this happens, the result is a power surge strong enough to completely ruin your home’s electrical system. Common culprits of power overload are refrigerators, AC units, space heaters, and electric dryers.
If your home has faulty wiring, this may interfere with your electrical system’s ability to protect itself against surges. Frequently tripped breakers in your wiring is another common cause of power spikes. If power surges are a result of faulty wiring, call us today! You may need to rewire your home or replace your circuit breaker.
Benefits of a Whole House Surge Protector
Power surges can damage electrical devices and leave expensive appliances such as refrigerators and dryers permanently out of commission. In some extreme cases, a voltage spike can cause an electrical fire. Installing a whole-house surge protector is the most effective way to protect your home against the dangers of a power surge. These units can:
- Protect Your Investments: When we purchase refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, televisions, and computers, we expect them to last a long time. That is why it is important to protect them from being damaged during a power surge.
- Prevent Electrical Fires: As we stated above, in extreme cases, a voltage spike can spark an electrical fire. With a surge protector, the voltage of your electrical system will be monitored, thus preventing the chance for an electrical fire to occur.
- Less HVAC Maintenance: Power surges can have a negative effect on our HVAC systems, oftentimes requiring professional repair or replacement services. With a surge protector, your HVAC system won’t be susceptible to as many electrical problems.
Give us a call today if you are experiencing any other electrical issues in your home, such as wiring or breaker panel issues.
Call Us Today
A whole-house surge protector is the most effective precaution you can take to stand up against power surges. Whether lightning has struck the power line that supplies your home’s electricity or a faulty wiring installation triggers frequent surges in your home, we can help. Our electricians have won the Magic Valley Readers Choice Gold Award for Best Electrician. They take great pride in their workmanship and ability to take away the frustration of common electrical issues.