When it comes to electricity in your Twin Falls or Jerome, ID home, everything is dependent upon a functioning breaker panel. The distribution board goes by many names: panel board, electric panel, and of course, the breaker panel. Its primary job is to divide electric power into a subsidiary circuit while providing a circuit breaker for each circuit. When systems malfunction, the entire house’s access to electricity can be put into jeopardy and the risk of electrical shocks and fires will increase. If you suspect something is wrong with your electrical panel, don’t hesitate to call the experts here at MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air today!
One form of protection for all of your electrical devices is a surge protector. Call us today and ask about our surge protector installation services.
Signs Your Breaker Panel Needs Repair
When your breaker panel is in need of professional attention, signs will begin to arise that indicate something has gone wrong. When you notice any of the following signs, it’s important to get help from a licensed electrician.
- Failing Circuit Breakers: Circuit breakers are absolutely vital when it comes to our home’s electrical system. They are in charge of breaking the circuit when there’s a risk for an electric shock which may spark a fire. If your circuit breakers are failing or malfunctioning, call a trusted electrician right away.
- Melted Wires: If you notice that the wires in your breaker panel are melted, this could indicate that your circuit is overloaded. The result of an overloaded circuit is often overheating which can lead to melted or distressed wires.
- Flickering/Dimming Lights: If the lights of your home are constantly flickering or dimming, this could indicate that there is something wrong with your breaker panel. This could be an overload, damages to the wiring, or other culprits. It’s important to have this problem inspected by a licensed electrician.
- Burning Smell: When your electrical panel emits a burning smell, this is a telltale sign that your panel is overheated. When our breaker panels become overloaded, the result is often overheating. Call us as soon as you notice the smell of burning emitting from your panel.
- Panel Is Old: If your home is more than 20 years old, your electrical box needs to be inspected. Older homes used less electricity than we use today with all of our televisions, technology, appliances, and gadgets. Your old electrical panel may not be equipped to meet the demands of your home’s electrical needs and needs to be replaced.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Electrical Panel
As we stated above, if your electrical panel is older than 20 years or you’re experiencing the frequent need for repairs due to frequent circuit trips or constantly flickering lights, it’s time for an upgrade. There are many benefits of upgrading your breaker panel to a new and improved electrical box. Some of these benefits include:
- Save Money: All of the constant repairs to your electrical panel begin to add up over time. When your breaker panel isn’t operating correctly, this could negatively affect all of the gadgets and appliances that require electricity in your home. This could lead to consuming more energy as appliances have to cut on and off when circuit breakers are tripped.
- Fewer Power Surges: With a brand new electrical panel, your risk for experiencing power surges are significantly decreased. Additionally, you will also add years of life to all of your electric devices.
- Reduced Risk For Electrical Fires: The older your electrical panel, the more susceptible it is to common problems that are potential electrical fire hazards. By upgrading to a totally new panel, you can have peace of mind knowing that your electrical box isn’t a fire hazard.
- Lower Homeowners Insurance: Another benefit of upgrading your breaker panel is a reduced homeowner’s insurance bill. This is because the newer your electrical box, the less risk there is for an electrical fire to occur which can qualify you for a discount on your annual bill.
Has it been a while since you’ve had your electrical system inspected? Call MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air for a whole home safety inspection!
Top-Quality Panel Box Services
MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air was honored to receive the Magic Valley Readers Choice Gold Award for Best Electrician. We only use high-quality materials and technology and our Eaton and Square D panels are the best on the market. Our licensed electricians understand the frustration you may experience when problems with your breaker panel arise, so we’re dedicated to providing timely, expert repair and replacement for your peace of mind. Call us today and take advantage of our easy, hassle-free scheduling system as well as our upfront pricing!