The heating system that we rely on to keep us warm and comfortable during the winter, and the air system that keeps us cool and calm during the summer is made up of many moving components. From the air handler to the evaporator coil, every part plays a role that is essential to the overall functioning of the AC or heater unit. When one component stops working properly, like the evaporator coil, the whole system can be at risk which is why it is important to get small issues taken care of before they become big ones. At MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air, we are your expert evaporator coil cleaning and repair pros in Twin Falls and Jerome, ID.
Are you experiencing issues with your HVAC system’s air handler? Call us today for quality air handler repair services.
What Is an Evaporator Coil?
An evaporator coil is a component of the air handler that absorbs the heat from the air in your home. In your AC unit or your heat pump, evaporator and condenser coils work together to perform heat exchange.
In your AC, the role of the evaporator coil is to store the refrigerant that the compressor transfers to it. When air is blown into the air handler by the blower motor, it moves over the evaporator coil and the refrigerant absorbs the heat from the air. This transfers the heat from your air to the refrigerant which is then transported to the condenser coil. In a heat pump unit, this process is reversed. This means the coil discharges heat from the refrigerant rather than absorbing it.
Signs Your Evaporator Coil Needs Attention
Just like any other component that makes up your HVAC system, there may come a day when your evaporator coil begins to malfunction. If your evaporator coil can no longer absorb heat from the air, your AC or heat pump will no longer be able to operate correctly. Some of the most common signs that your evaporator coil needs professional repair, cleaning, or replacement services include:
- AC is Emitting Warm Air: Air conditioners operate by removing humidity from the air. This is dependent upon your evaporator coil being able to effectively absorb heat from the air. If your AC is blowing warm air or you feel a rise in humidity levels in your home, this could indicate that your evaporator coil is damaged or frozen.
- Strange Sounds: If your AC system is emitting strange noises such as banging or clanking, this is a telltale sign that your unit isn’t operating properly. Often times, these noises originate from the air handler unit and can signal that your evaporator coil has been damaged.
- Leaks: If you notice any leaking around your air handler unit, it’s time to call the professionals. When our evaporator coils become frozen, a flooded condensate line can cause leaks in and around our unit.
- AC Turning On & Off: When our air conditioning units frequent cycle, it is usually an indicator that our evaporator coil has frosted over. This can prevent the proper functioning of our coil resulting in shorter AC cycles. This problem is not only a nuisance but can also raise your energy bills more than you would like them to be.
- AC Won’t Turn On: Oftentimes, when our AC units begin to malfunction or fail to turn on, we think that we have to replace them to fix the issue. Many people don’t realize that a majority of AC unit issues actually stem from a damaged evaporator coil.
Is your AC unit old? Replacing the evaporator coil may only be a short-term fix. For long-lasting relief, call MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air today and ask about our AC replacement services.
Call Us Today!
Whether your evaporator coil is frosted over or your air handler system is emitting strange, disruptive noises, our magical technicians can help. When you call MAGIC Electric, Plumbing, Heating + Air about your evaporator coil, we’ll have our technician inspect the unit carefully and determine the best course of action! Our team of experts is dedicated to creating long-lasting solutions so you’re not throwing away money at frequent repair and replacement services.